Thursday, April 2, 2015

Let's get down to business....

Admit it, most of you sung the title as if it were part of a Disney sing along...
But seriously, back to business!
Here's an update my latest adventure: Working.

Downtown Winnipeg, 8:11, just got off the bus. Walking down Main street with the rest of the working world, picking up the Winnipeg metro on the way, feeling all grown up.
        Good thing I don't drink coffee or else I would feel way too professional.
Wandering through the historical center of the city, past century old skyscrapers and buildings before taking the underground passageway beneath the morning rush hour. Winnipeg Square, a whole village of shops and restaurants is the last place I see before heading up back to ground level and into the lobby of my workplace. Elevators up to the third floor, put my jacket in the closet, lunch in the fridge, grab a cup of water, and then its time to sit down and get to work. In my little section of the office surrounded by other professionals who are much older then I... After saying a few good mornings I get started on the day's projects.

Which is when I remember I'm just a little country kid. What am I doing here!?
      Sometimes I just want to go back home and hide in the forest with my music... ;)
And then the reminder, I've got some God-given skills and abilities and by His grace and some family connections I was able to land a job here. This is training for the future - even though I'm not sure for what - and the future is always exciting when you're trusting God. So with that in mind I get back to work.

But wow! The business world is complex and pretty amazing. All of the people are wonderful and have welcomed me into the "family" here. I have two office mates that "take care" of me, and my managers are excellent and understanding teachers and there and some pretty hilarious people in the lunch room. Over all of this is the community atmosphere that stimulates great relationships and productivity.

Because let me tell you, it's busy here.

I've learned so much about business, real estate and all the behind the scenes things that into the shops we just pass by. This is going to be one of the greatest educations I'm going to have - and I'm being paid for it! My job changes day to day: I get to help with projects, make up spreadsheets, do some filing, and I'm the part time receptionist in one of the offices upstairs. So, there's always something happening. Its funny, I have to ask for acronyms to be defined - so I'm slowly expanding my business/accounting vocabulary! I've made lots of notes and ask lots of questions, this is truly an educational experience! And I'm also the youngest here by thee years; the other employees are graduated business students or long time professionals, and almost all of them have young children. That originally made me a little nervous, but I'm grateful for it - keeps me humble and that means I can learn even more from the people around me!

So far, it has been very interesting to hear how work fits into their lives, especially when kids are sick or there are holidays coming up. And everyone is so giddy on Friday - it's adorable. I feel like I'm seeing the other side of people's lives, the side their children merely hear about as "work." I'm seeing their parents in action, watching what they do to support their household. It's like being on the other side of a door, a door their children haven't been through yet. It's quite intriguing actually... It also got me thinking about my future and career and how that will be integrated with family....
I guess its just that now I'm working in an office full time I feel like an adult so its time to think like one!

Thankfully I don't have to live on my own and pay numerous bills yet - I get to stay with my grandparents and I'm still their oldest granddaughter! It's a great transition place to be; we have lots of fun, we've really gotten to know each other and I've learned a great deal from them already. And since there is a piano here, that definitely helps things along! My grandparents love music and have encouraged me to finish it and appreciate the arts, so when I practice for my Grade 10 exam its a win-win for everyone.

One last thing: it is SO nice to have a routine. You have no idea how much I needed this. I was so tired of living out of a suitcase and moving around every three months, and having a traveling mindset that you might not see this place or these people again.... It was awesome, but so tiring and after seven months of that I had had enough. So to finally be in one place, in a home, with people I know and with a schedule... it's amazing! I'm actually excited that I have my day planned out till 5:30 on weekdays - for now. ;)

I'm so grateful to be here - I know these experiences are seeds for many future events so I need to savour this time of preparation. For who knows where it may lead....
(I'm so excited to find out!)

And that is how even work can be considered an adventure!








No comments:

Post a Comment