Saturday, August 30, 2014

Smells like Cheese Chips...

After years of hoping, months of planning, days of packing, and a couple hours of road detours Wanetta and I finally got to Minneapolis! After a fabulous dinner at TGIF (and we actually ate there on Friday) it was time to get on the plane. IcelandAir, Terminal 2. 

Finally.

But it felt really strange, because although it was a huge step for us nobody else knew that. Its a humbling sort of anonymity. Not that that hampered my enthusiasm.
 
Not one bit. 

Until I got on the plane. 

I sat down in my seat, perfectly contented with the conditions of the air craft (it had Icelandic phrases printed everywhere, a lullaby written on the pillows, super cool!) until I breathed in through my nose. 

And smelt them.

Cheese chips. 

My panic level began to rise. Would I have to sit through the entire flight smelling the rank odour of old chips? They were probably embedded in the fan that was to blow air on me for the next six hours making each intake of breath absolutely miserable. Then I would arrive in Iceland smelling like I walked out of a LOTR marathon that only served cheddar chips. Disgusting.

What could be done? 

Absolutely nothing.

However. 

God seems to care about the little things in life. 

(Thank goodness!)

Thus, as soon as the plane started the smell faded and my heart rate returned to normal. No treacherous smells to infiltrate my dreams and clothes -that's going in the God Book! 

And so one of the best flights of my life began. 

The lights above the overhead compartments projected the northern lights on the wall. Listening to Icelandic and English with an Icelandic accent was most amusing. I talked with a lady whose daughter learned Spanish in University (like I want to) and has traveled all around Europe. They also have a German Exchange student. But most exciting, I actually slept on the plane! For at least 2 hours, which is a first and an answer to prayer. Soon after waking up, we landed and our glorious excursion to Iceland began! 

But that's another post with an equally awesome title.... 


No comments:

Post a Comment